Dr. Ray Pastore uses a visual PowerPoint presentation accompanied by a video of his face and voice. This gives you a lecture like presentation along with definition based slides to take notes on. His video does not follow the redundancy principle that he explained as he is presenting the information both on the slides and verbally. He is also showing a small video of himself which can be distracting. Spoken words and images are better for learning rather than printed words and pictures alone but as he mentioned repeating information can affect learning outcomes. An expert should avoid using all the principles because it is easy to overflow one’s cognitive load. Using too many principles would be too chaotic to firmly understand the content. A simple less detailed presentation is easier to follow along with and you must focus on these details to correctly deliver the learning outcomes that you desire.

The Redundancy Principle would apply to a PowerPoint presentation. As the information is presented in both written and verbal format. Presenting the same information two times can hurt learning but it also a favored principle as it is not solely reliant on text.

An example of a multimedia learning principle that I have followed would be the spatial contiguity principle. When creating presentations in school I have made sure to closely relate images and text definitions to each other. By keeping all related text and graphics close together it makes it easier to understand. A principle that I have broken in the past would have to be the coherence principle. This principle states that using irrelevant information and confusing pictures can decrease learning outcomes. In many PowerPoint presentations I can find myself trying to fluff up my slides to look well researched, but, by doing so it can overflow one’s cognitive load and distract the learners with irrelevant information. A simple text and video are much more effective.

Edited screencast video